Monday, July 14, 2008

Proverbs 5

Lord, Open my heart and my mind. Help me to praise you and accept your guidance. I pray that I can keep your wisdom with me at all times. In Your Name I Pray, Amen.

Proverbs 5: 1-2
"My son, pay attention to my wisdom; Lend your ear to my understanding, That you may preserve discretion, And your lips may keep knowledge."

This whole Proverb is about resisting temptation. Keep your eyes and ears on God, do not give into temptation. The other man or lady may look attractive but they are someone you really don't know well and they will lead to your downfall. The other life may look better to you, as in being single instead of toughing it out in your marriage. It too will lead to your downfall. The grass always looks greener on the other side but it is an illusion. Because when you reach the other side, the side you started on will look greener. Stay the course with your family and lean on God's instruction. He will help us to tend the fields we live in and to nourish them so that our fields will be greener than any possible temptation around us.

I confess that there are times when I want to run away from my life. To leave everyone and everything I know behind. And then I realize that what I really want is a happier, more peaceful life with those I love. I can't get that by running away. I can only get that through hard work and through change. Changing me into a more peaceful and loving person so that those around me will become the same. Whatever spirit we send out is what is reflected to us. So if we send out anger and discourse then that is all that we will know. If we send out love, patience and kindness then we will receive it ten fold.

No comments: