Monday, July 14, 2008

Proverbs 4

Lord, open my heart and my mind, I invite you in to do some housecleaning. My heart has been filled with cement and my mind has been filled with trash and anger. My soul has become weakened because of the state of my heart, mind and body. I come to you asking you to clean out the cobwebs in my heart, to declutter my mind and to help me to resist the junk that I keep putting into my body in an effort to feed my soul. I come to you with a spirit of openness in hopes that you my free me from these bonds of anger and chaos. In Your Name I Pray, Amen

Proverbs 4: 42-25
"Put away from you a deceitful mouth, And put perverse lips far from you. Let your eyes look straight ahead, And your eyelids look right before you."

Keep wisdom in your heart. Speak only kind words, keep curse words from your mouth, keep your eyes on your purpose, your goals, your life. These are the words that came to me as I read Proverbs 4. I believe the best thing we can do to change ourselves is to become open vessels, to remember what our goals and purposes are and to actively apply them to our lives.

I must remember that my children are people and that no matter what my other goals are, I am their and therefore it is my job to teach them life skills, life lessons, manners, discipline, how to read, how to count, how to treat other people and much more. It is my job to make them into productive members of society.

I must also remember that the old saying "Do as I say not as I do." is only that, a saying.
Children copy what they see and they rarely listen. So if I want them to be kind and compassionate then I must show them the same. If I want them to be responsible then so must I be. So perhaps we should determine what type of people we want our children to be and then strive to be that type of person ourselves.

I'm sure that I'm not the only one with the selfish tendencies. :)
I believe that if we begin to instruct our children, truly selflessly then our time will multiply so that we will have time for ourselves and our children will be happier. Try this experiment. Instead of surfing the net during the baby's nap (or whatever else you do in your "free" time) try doing the chore that you're putting off. When you're done check out the clock. I'll bet you have time left over.

No comments: