Thursday, October 23, 2008

Learning to love again

I have some to realize, through prayer, that I am not a nice person. God has been showing me where I am being completely selfish. I have spent so many years doing for others that I have spent the past 2-3 years becoming very selfish and worrying that if I give of myself again that I will once again become lost.
God has shown me that in order for me to grow and become the woman that I should be I must learn to let go of my fear and learn to love not only myself, but my children and my husband once again. I love them, but not in the self-sacrificing way that I should and that will make me a better person.

God, I pray that you will open my heart so that I may let my loved ones inside once again. Allow me to accept the good with the bad and to remember that the good will always outweigh the bad as long as my heart is with you.

1 Cor. 13:4 "Love suffers long . . ."
Being patient is a form of love. In order to be patient we must respond nicely to a bad situation. Instead of getting angry and huffing and puffing, we must take a deep breath, say a quick prayer, and respond with kindness. The next time someone is yelling or belittling you, stop, breath and think about your true feelings for this person outside of the situation. I once read that "harsh words are never truly forgotten." I'm not sure how true that is. I do know that it takes ten positive statements to counteract every one negative one.

I challenge you (and myself) to treat our closest loved ones as visitors in our home instead of like our enemies. Bite your tongue instead of screaming.

1 comment:

Evelyn Mayfield said...

Oh, wow, Shelly, did I ever need this post tonight. Especially the end, about treating our loved ones the way we treat visitors. I must try to do that not just often, but always. It isn't fair that I take out all my frustrations and anxiety and maybe even bitterness on those I love the most. Thank you for your sincerity; it helps to know I am not alone.
Hugs
Evie
http://prayersncrafts.blogspot.com